Wednesday 18 September 2013

I scare myself sometimes ...

... with my unfailing blind faith that I can look at a pile of fabric, think of an idea, draw a rough pattern (and I mean rough!) and start cutting and sewing with an absolute certainty it will all work out in the end. I really am the eternal optimist * sigh *

Laura (from yesterday's post) is holding a Macmillan Cancer Support fundraising event in January and I am going to make a quilt for the raffle. This paragraph describes their work: 

"The Macmillan team is with you every step of the way. We are the nurses and therapists helping you through treatment. The experts on the end of the phone. The advisers telling you which benefits you’re entitled to. The supporters who make it all possible."

They don't have one logo as such but I did see did this image on Google:


There are many references on the Internet to the symbolism of butterflies ... too many for me to condense in any worthy way here but did you know the ancient Greeks considered butterflies as the souls of those who had passed away? And in ancient mythology, the butterfly stands for wisdom and everlasting knowledge? Fascinating reading and quite fitting a theme for this quilt, I think.

So here is my rough pattern:


My first strip:


A close up and some more blocks I made tonight:



Not sure yet how it's all going to come together, where to position the blocks, what size it'll end up at, if I'll have enough fabric. But that's okay - a few butterflies in my stomach along the way is absolutely fine by me :)


A new WIP, thankful to those who work at Macmillan and to Lee (who's not feeling too good - get well soon!) for the chance to link up: 


12 comments:

  1. You are amazing, Jennifer! What a fun quilt this will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! So crisp and sunny in blue, white and yellow. Isn't it fun when a creative plan all comes together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really pretty. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect. Great design work and the fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty pretty pretty. I love the fabric - and it looks like a great plan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great cause to donate to. I'm sure it will work out just fine. The butterfly theme is a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet quilt for a worthy cause. It is a very pretty WIP. Looking forward to seeing the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will be stunning and sounds like such a worthy cause. I didn't know all those things about butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow it looks amazing! It's going to be fantastic and for such a worth cause too. I can't wait to see how this one progresses. Have faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right to be optimistic that's the best way to get things done (I try to have a sunny outlook...it doesn't always work though!). Whoever wins is going to be one lucky person :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, I know it takes time to write them but they make me smile so thank you for dropping by :)